We all love our furry friends, but let’s face it – dealing with pet waste is an inevitable part of pet ownership. Whether you have a playful pup or a large Lassie, keeping your yard clean requires a bit of effort. Here are some ways to remove pet waste, ensuring a happy and healthy environment for both you and your four-legged companion.
Five tips for removing pet waste from your yard.
- Invest in Biodegradable Bags: One of the most common methods of cleaning up after your pet is using plastic bags. However, not all bags are created equal. Consider switching to biodegradable bags made from materials like cornstarch or recycled plastics. These bags break down more quickly in landfills, reducing their environmental impact. When you’re out for a walk with your pet, always carry a few of these eco-friendly bags for convenient waste disposal.
- Pooper Scoopers for the Win: Pooper scoopers are a handy tool for picking up pet waste, especially in your backyard. These devices come in various designs, from simple scoops to more sophisticated models with long handles. Using a pooper scooper not only keeps your hands clean but also helps you efficiently remove waste without the need for plastic bags. Some scoopers even come with bags that can be easily emptied into your compost or trash bin.
- Composting Pet Waste: If you’re an environmentally conscious pet owner, consider composting your pet’s waste. While traditional composting may not be suitable due to potential pathogens in pet waste, specialized composting systems are available that can handle it safely. These systems use high temperatures to break down the waste, producing nutrient-rich compost for non-edible plants. Remember to keep pet waste compost separate from your regular compost to avoid contamination.
- Professional Waste Removal Services: For those with busy schedules or limited mobility, hiring a professional pet waste removal service might be a convenient solution. These services offer regular cleanups of your yard, ensuring a clean and safe environment for both you and your pet. Many services also dispose of the waste in an environmentally responsible manner, giving you peace of mind.
- Bonus Tip! – Spaghetti Spoon: Now here me out. Though this sounds like a funny option (because it is), it’s actually a very effective and inexpensive tool. A friend of mine used a spaghetti spoon for years to clean her yard. The fingers in the spaghetti spoon work well with combing the grass and collecting the waste. Then the spoon shape is perfect for picking it up and placing it in the waste disposal of your choice. In my friends opinion, the spaghetti spoon out performs many of the cheaper pooper scoopers on the market. If you are looking to save money, give it a try!!!
Cleaning up after your pet is a responsibility that comes with the joy of pet ownership. The right tool for cleaning your yard will help transform your yard from being a toilet for your dog to a clean place for your children to play, and a fresh oasis for you! So, let’s scoop responsibly and make the world a cleaner place for everyone – pets and humans alike.